- Cemetery Services
- Art & Architecture
- In Nature
- Visiting Oakwood
Jacob D. Vanderheyden
Founder of Troy, NY
Jacob D. Vanderheyden, known as “The Patroon of Troy” was notable for his ownership of an extensive part of the City of Troy’s present site. He was also known as the father and founder of Troy’s First Presbyterian Church, where he was its ruling elder.
Vanderheyden lived on the southeast corner of River and Ferry streets, now occupied by a Russell Sage dormitory. He later built a larger brick house on the southwest corner of Grand Division and Eighth Street, which was destroyed to re-route Federal Street.
The area had long been the property of the Vanderheyden family, and bore the name, “Vanderheyden’s Farm,” until January 5, 1789, when the name of Troy was adopted by a vote of the residents.
Vanderheyden was buried in the Third Street Cemetery next to the First Baptist Church. His grandson, Lewis Morris, brought all the family remains to Oakwood after Oakwood Cemetery opened in 1850.